Commenting on blogs adds a whole new dimension to blogging. As Barbara Nixon says, “Respond to others’ posts. Become a part of the blogosphere. Blogging should not be lonely.” Having the option to comment gives the reader a voice. It turns your writing into a conversation if the comments are thought out and go beyond the simple, “I agree,” or “That’s dumb.” As Kipp Bodnar notes, “Its true value lies in the opportunity to build long-term relationships. Leaving thoughtful blog comments can be one of the best ways to start a relationship with an influential blogger in your industry.” (Click here to read more of Kipp’s advice when it comes to commenting on blogs.)
Here are a few tips for writing blog comments:
- You should be specific about what it is that you are responding to.
- Elaborate on why you agree or disagree.
- If you aren’t sure how you feel about a blog because you were confused by it, ask the author of the blog to try to explain what they are saying in a different way. This could even motivate them update their blog in order to clarify what they are saying.
- Ask questions. Questions bring about new ideas which further conversation.
- Proofread your comments before posting them. The comment section does not mean you have permission to slack off when it comes to grammar.
Often bloggers can be more bold than they would have the guts to be in person. It’s like they have a virtual safety forcefield. As a Christian, I believe what the Bible teaches and one thing that it teaches is that out of the overflow of the heart, the mouth speaks. If this is true that our attitude/tone in comments, no matter how different the viewpoint, should be loving. When it comes to controversial issues and hotly debated cultural issues it is important to comment with grace and truth. Stand up for what you believe in, but do so in a manner worthy of saying you love God and all of his creation.
What are some of your favorite professional blogs to comment on?